Fire and Ice Protection
This is especially relevant after griff helm nerf. Most geared characters are over the fire/ice cap. The nerf puts people much closer to the cap, and poses a challenge for lowbies and MAs and a reason to strive for bigger bosses to cap. (:
Here's how it works!
- MINIMUM: If you have 0 items with fire/ice, you have 0% damage reduction for fire/ice. If you have ANY fire or ice resist on (even a resist value of 1!) your resistance STARTS at 50% for fire and 45% for ice.- - MAXIMUM: No matter what, your resistances can't go past 95% for fire and 90% for ice. As a result, the cap is +45 resist, for both fire (50% to 95%) and ice (45% to 90%) - STACKING: All fire/ice resist stacks. EXCEPT that the spells Protection from Fire/Ice, Protection from Fire, and Protection from Ice will never give you more than 20 resist to fire and/or ice. You only get credit for the spell once, no matter the source (players or wearing items containing the spell).
1. Mr. Nubblecookies wears a normal robe and otherwise goes naked, because he thinks he's a badass. His fireball deals 100 damage against enemies with no fire resist. He accidentally drops it on his toes. His normal robe gives him +5 fire resist, and having any starts you at 50. His total fire resist is 55%, and he takes 45 damage and must go travel to UW to recover his eyebrows.
2. Ms. Trudy Trudell is about to become acquainted with an Oakvael lich's icestorm spell, which deals (let's say) 300 damage. She wears: normal robe (5 f/i), fox scarf (spell: 20 f/i), Daisy skull (5 fire), Daisy scales (7 f/i), (and naturally no pants (Ain't no pants in LoK.). This brings her to +37 ice resist (Daisy skull is not helpful.). Ice resist starts at 45, so that's 82 resist. She resists 82% of the damage (246), taking 54 Pride damage. If she had put on a greater dragon skull (10 f/i), she'd have been capped at 90% ice resist, and would have only taken 30 face damage.
3. Gurn wants to know if wearing an ice ring and a scarf together will help him survive at mama. Answer: no. Wear one or the other. Whether you wear one, the other, or both, you still get +20 ice resist. Gurn's all crazy geared, so his ice is capped (90%), and every time Mama sneezes at him, he takes 10% of the ice damage she'd do.
4. Gibbous casts Dragon Breath: Lightning. Everything dies.